USCIS to recall thousands of green cards issued on incorrect dates

Green Card with wrong date
The Green Cards that USCIS is removing show incorrect date of residency.


Due to a production error, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued thousands of permanent resident cards (known as Green Cards) with incorrect dates. The agency is now notifying that they are being recalled.

The cards with the wrong dates were issued for Forms I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residency for spouses of U.S. citizens.

According to USCIS, 8,543 Green Cards were printed with the incorrect "resident from" date, which were mailed between February and April 2018.

USCIS is sending notices to affected individuals to return incorrect Green Cards.

The withdrawal of these cards does not affect the legal permanent resident status of the persons affected by the technical error.

What to do if you receive a notice

If you are notified that you have an incorrectly dated Green Card, you must return it to USCIS in the prepaid envelope provided within 20 days of receiving the notification. You may also return your cards to your local USCIS office.

USCIS will send a replacement Green Card within 15 days of receipt of the incorrect card.

If you are affected and need to travel abroad or prove your permanent residency while the replacement card arrives, call USCIS at 800-375-5283 for assistance and to obtain additional evidence of your immigration status.

How the wrong date can impact the Green Card

Spouses of U.S. citizens may apply for naturalization after three years of permanent residency, in addition to meeting other requirements.

The problem with the production error is that the card gives erroneous information to residents about when they can apply for U.S. citizenship. The incorrect date on these cards could potentially lead to applicants having to wait longer than necessary to start the process.