USCIS launches physician locator for permanent residency applicants

When an immigrant files an application for adjustment of status to obtain permanent residence in the United States, they generally must pass a medical examination before the application is approved and a green card is issued.

The exam can only be performed by a physician authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). But now that process will be easier, because the USCIS has inaugurated on its website a tool to find doctors authorized to perform these exams.

Find a clinic or doctor near you

"Find a Doctor" (Find a doctor), replaces a previous locator that was called "Civil Surgeon Locator".

The redesigned locator allows you to enter your address or zip code to find a licensed physician near you.

For example, by entering your zip code, it lists doctors and how far they are from where you live. In addition, it provides a map to see where the listed doctors are located and provides links with directions to the doctor's office, either by public transportation or car.

immigration medical examination
Example of how "Find a Doctor" works.


A list of what to bring with you to your doctor's visit can be found on the "Find a Doctor" website.

For more information, visit