USCIS closes office in Cuba permanently; how to continue procedures for Cubans

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) field office in Havana, Cuba has closed its doors permanently as of today, December 10.

The USCIS Mexico City Field Office will assume jurisdiction over individual immigration matters in Cuba. The U.S. Department of State office in Havana will also assume responsibility for certain services previously provided by the USCIS office in Cuba.

Visa services at the U.S. Embassy in Havana were suspended almost entirely since November 2017 due to a reduction in staff as a result of attacks that affected the health of its employees.

The Department of State and USCIS are exploring options to continue consular and some immigration services in other locations.

Affected persons will be informed of new ways to move forward with their cases once an alternative way of filing and processing cases is established.

According to USCIS, individuals living in Cuba, or filing petitions for Cuban residents, should follow these instructions:



Presentation Instructions

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative File a petition by mail at the appropriate USCIS Lockbox.
Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Document for Transportation) If you are a lawful permanent resident who lost your Green Card and/or entry permit and need travel documentation to return to the United States, you may file Form I-131A at any Consular Section of a U.S. Embassy or USCIS international office outside of Cuba.
Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status


File Form I-407 by mail to the USCIS Field Office in Mexico City or file it in person at any U.S. embassy or consulate or USCIS international office outside of Cuba.
Form I-730, Petition for Refugee/Asylee Relative Petition File petition with the Nebraska or Texas Service Center, depending on where you live in the United States.

USCIS will reschedule Form I-730 interviews that were in process at the U.S. Embassy in Havana and will provide those affected with instructions on how to proceed.

If an interview has not yet been scheduled, the Department of State's National Visa Center will notify you when an interview will be scheduled at a designated position.

Cuban Family Reunification Permit Program (CFRP) The Department of State and USCIS are in the process of determining the arrangements for processing these applications under the CFRP Program.
Permit Program for Spouses or Children of Cuban Medical Professionals (CMPP) USCIS and the Department of State will announce interview and travel document processing arrangements in the near future.
Form N-400, Application for Naturalization If you are a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and are stationed overseas, please see the USCIS Form N-400 webpage or call 800-375-5283 for the latest form filing instructions. For eligible children of active duty members of the Armed Forces stationed overseas, the appropriate form to file is Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322.