The White House yesterday unveiled an immigration plan that provides a mechanism to naturalize approximately 1.8 million DREAMers, but would exclude approximately 10 million undocumented immigrants. It would also restrict legal immigration and eliminate the visa lottery in exchange for increased border security and $$25 billion to secure the border, including expansion of the border wall.
Trump's plan would drastically reform the system and severely reduce legal immigration. Under this proposal, U.S. citizens and permanent residents would only be able to sponsor their spouses and minor children. They would not be able to petition for their parents, adult children or siblings.
Trump's proposal is based on four fundamental points:
- Securing the border
- Legalization of people who qualify under DACA, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The citizenship process would take between 10 to 12 years and could be revoked.
- Ending chain migration of extended families
- Cancel the visa lottery
White House Statement on Immigration Proposal
The White House Press Office released to the press a one-page document outlining President Trump's proposal for immigration reform that would be officially presented to lawmakers on Monday as a roadmap to follow.
This is a translation of that document:
THE WHITE HOUSE FRAMEWORK ON IMMIGRATION REFORM AND BORDER SECURITY
BORDER SECURITY: Securing the southern and northern borders of the United States requires a combination of physical infrastructure, technology, personnel, resources, authorities and the ability to close loopholes that are exploited by smugglers, traffickers, cartels, criminals and terrorists.
* The Department of Homeland Security must have the tools to prevent illegal immigration; the ability to remove persons entering the United States illegally; and the vital authorities necessary to protect national security.
* These measures below are the minimum tools necessary to mitigate the rapid growth of illegal immigration.
- $25 billion trust fund for the border fence system, ports of entry/exit and northern border improvements.
- Close crippling staffing gaps by allocating additional funding to hire new DHS staff, ICE attorneys, immigration judges, prosecutors, and other law enforcement professionals.
- Recruitment and salary reforms to ensure recruitment and retention of urgently needed personnel.
- Deter illegal entry by ending law-enforced catch and release and closing loopholes that have eroded our ability to secure the immigration system and protect public safety.
- Ensure the detention and transfer of criminal aliens, gang members, violent offenders and aggravated felons.
- Ensure the prompt removal of illegal border crossers, regardless of country of origin.
- Discourage overstaying with efficient disposal.
- Ensure that synthetic drugs (fentanyl) cannot enter the country.
- Institute immigration court reforms to improve efficiency and prevent fraud and abuse.
DACA LEGALIZATION: Provide legal status for DACA recipients and other DACA-eligible illegal immigrants, adjusting the timeframe to encompass a total population of approximately 1.8 million people.
* 10-12 year path to citizenship, with work requirements and good character.
* Clarification of eligibility requirements to mitigate fraud.
* Status is subject to revocation for criminal conduct or public safety and national security concerns, public charges, fraud, etc.
PROTECT THE NUCLEAR FAMILY: Protect the nuclear family by emphasizing close family relationships.
* Promote nuclear family migration by limiting family sponsorships to spouses and minor children only (for both citizens and legal permanent residents), putting an end to extended family chain migration.
* Apply these changes prospectively, not retroactively, by processing backlogged cases.
ELIMINATE THE VISA LOTTERY AND REUTILIZATION VISAS: The Visa Lottery randomly selects individuals to come to the United States without regard to skills, merit, or public safety.
* This program is riddled with fraud and abuse and does not serve the national interest.
* Eliminate the lottery and reallocate visas to reduce the family "backlog" and the "backlog" of high-skilled jobs.