TPS extended for El Salvador 2012

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today announced the extension of the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) program for El Salvador.

Individuals from this country will be able to remain under the protection of the program for another 18 months from March 10, 2012 until September 9, 2013. In addition, the validity of these work permits under TPS that expire on March 9 of this year have been automatically extended until September 9, 2012.

The re-enrollment period began yesterday, January 9, 2012 and will end on March 12, 2012.

Salvadorans currently enrolled in TPS must re-enroll in the program to continue under its protection.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will publish a notice in the Federal Register tomorrow and provide instructions on the re-registration process. You can read a copy of what will be published tomorrow here.

Salvadorans never before registered for TPS may be eligible for late registration if they meet the proper requirements.

Individuals who did not re-register on time in the past may also be eligible to submit late re-registration requests to USCIS. They must be accompanied by evidence of "good cause" for not filing on time.

Please consult with an immigration attorney to evaluate your immigration situation as soon as possible.

TPS is a temporary immigration status. It is granted to persons who cannot return to their home countries because their lives would be in danger due to an ongoing armed conflict, environmental catastrophe, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions.

Individuals registered for TPS may remain in the United States and obtain employment authorization during the period of designation of their home country. However, TPS does not lead to permanent residence in the United States. Beneficiaries return to the same immigration status they had before TPS (unless that status has expired or been revoked), or to any other status they may have acquired during TPS registration.

Please consult with an immigration attorney to evaluate your immigration situation as soon as possible and discuss whether there is any other recourse to obtain permanent residency.