Do I have to notify USCIS of a change of address?

In my column This week's Consulta Migratoria® answers a question from a reader who recently moved and in the past has sponsored a cousin to immigrate to the United States.

Each case is different and the answers vary depending on the immigration history of each person. Here I provide general answers to your questions. Please consult with an immigration attorney to receive personalized legal advice before beginning any process.

This is the column:

I am a permanent resident of the United States. In 2014 I helped a cousin emigrate by signing a letter of support. My cousin was able to obtain U.S. permanent residency and lives in Texas. Recently, I moved to a new apartment and I want to know if I have to notify immigration of my change of address. -Marta T.

Marta, you do need to notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) about your move. You can do this using Forms AR-11 and I-865.

Immigration law requires most non-U.S. citizens, including permanent residents, to notify USCIS of address changes within 10 days of moving. Failure to give written notice of a change of address is a misdemeanor and may affect your ability to acquire immigration benefits in the future.

As a permanent resident of the United States, you must notify the USCIS of your change of address by using the Form AR-11. You can send it by mail or fill it out via Internet by clicking here here.

I recommend that you keep copies of all correspondence sent to the USCIS, use certified or registered mail to guarantee delivery, and have proof that you sent the documentation.

Because you filed Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, commonly called an Affidavit of Support, to support your cousin, immigration law also requires you to notify USCIS of any change of address until your financial responsibility ends.

You must file Form I-865, Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address, within 30 days of your move. Failure to do so may result in a penalty of $$250 to $$5,000.

Marta, if in doubt, consult with an immigration attorney or a federally accredited representative before beginning any immigration proceedings.

For more information and immigration tips, read my blog

Send your questions to Include detailed information about your situation to better answer your questions.

Dr. Nelson A. Castillo is an immigration attorney and author of The Green Card: How to Obtain Permanent Residence in the United States and host of immigration television segments on the following subjects El Abogado a Tu Lado on NY1 News. He is a past President of the Hispanic National Bar Association and current President of the Westlake South Los Angeles Neighborhood Council. For information on how to contact Dr. Castillo, please click here. click here.

The purpose of this column is to provide general information. There can be no guarantee or prediction as to what will be the outcome of the information presented by Dr. Nelson A. Castillo. The information should not be taken as legal advice for any individual, case or situation. This column may be considered an advertisement under the Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys in several states, including California and New York. Consult with an immigration attorney for personalized legal advice before beginning any immigration proceedings.