How to find an immigration detainee

One of the questions I constantly receive from my readers is how do you find a family member in immigration detention?

This week, in my column in La Opinión I am answering this question again. I also answer another reader who wants to know what he can do to get his mother a tourist visa.

Remember, each case is different and the answers vary depending on each person's immigration history and other factors. Here I provide general answers to your questions. Please consult with an attorney for personalized legal advice.

My brother was arrested by immigration and we don't know about him, how can we find him? - Jose L.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has a locator on its website to find people in its custody. In this PageIn addition, they can search for the whereabouts of the detained person by entering the foreigner's A-Number or biographical data such as first name, last name, country and date of birth.

The search engine is only for finding adults; it does not work for children under the age of 18. If you do not have internet access, you should call the ICE office closest to the area where the person was detained.

You can find a list of the offices by clicking here.

I am a permanent resident of the United States of Mexican origin. My mother lives in Nayarit, Mexico, and wishes to attend the wedding of my daughter who is getting married in August. She has already applied several times for a tourist visa at the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara and has been denied.  What can my mother do to get a visa? -Andrés M.

Your mother must reapply for a tourist visa and clearly demonstrate through documentation her intention to return to Mexico after her granddaughter's wedding. She must prove that she resides in Mexico and that she has work, family or social ties that bind her to her place of origin. In addition, your mother must demonstrate that all travel expenses will be covered by her or others.

If necessary, offer to post a bond to guarantee your mother's return to Mexico.

You should also become a citizen as soon as you are eligible. This would help you in several ways, including being able to bring your mother to the U.S. on an immigrant visa.

Unfortunately, the process of becoming a citizen and applying for your mother takes time and will probably not take place before your daughter's wedding.