Immigrants who have permanent residency in the United States will be able to renew their green card or replace it using a new electronic system starting Monday, March 30, 2015.
The immigration authorities assure that the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Electronic Immigration System (USCIS ELIS) will expedite the processing of Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.
Although in the past it was possible to submit I-90 forms electronically, the processing and notifications on the status of the procedure were made by means of the postal service.
Now, that is changing. As an online account system, USCIS ELIS allows the user to file and view certain petitions for immigration benefits, and receive electronic notifications of decisions and updates on the status of their case in real time.
In the following Univision report I explain the process:
These are the advantages of USCIS ELIS:
- The user can create and manage his account
- Applications and supporting documents can be submitted electronically.
- Notifications and decisions are received and can be responded to electronically
- You can view the status of your case in real time.
At this time, only the following procedures are available through USCIS ELIS:
- Electronic filing of Form I-90
- Electronic filing of Form I-526
- Electronic filing of Form I-539
- USCIS Immigrant Fee Payments
Although the process will now be easier, if you already qualify, I recommend that every permanent resident become a U.S. citizen. You will have more benefits and security to remain in the United States.