New reinstatement cards for select group issued

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that it has begun issuing new employment and travel authorization cards in one document. These new cards are only issued to certain individuals who have filed Applications to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, or Form I-485.

The card is similar to the current Employment Authorization Document (EAD), but will include the text that reads: "Serves as I-512 Advance Parole. ("Serves as I-512 Reentry Permit."). A card with this text will serve as both an employment authorization and a reentry permit. The new card is more secure and more durable than the current paper Advance Parole document.

The applicant may receive this card when filing an Application for Employment Authorization (Form I-765) and an Application for Travel Document (Form I-131) at the same time, or after filing Form I-485. USCIS will continue to issue employment authorization cards and Advance Parole documents as they deem necessary. Employers may accept the new card as a "List A" document when completing the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9.